NPR Partners With Academic Travel Abroad To Launch NPR Travels : NPR
abriendomundo/Getty Illustrations or photos/iStockphoto
August 18, 2021 Washington D.C., Right now NPR launched NPR Travels, a collection of immersive, academic excursions intended for public radio lovers with insatiable curiosity about topics these types of as music, heritage, astronomy, politics, and climate modify. Commencing in 2022, NPR’s group trips will depart during the 12 months, from January to November, and host up to 24 folks at a time. Just about every trip will be led by an participating specialist who will deliver perception and context, and a experienced tour supervisor to manage logistics. Unique NPR “touches” will be woven into each individual itinerary, these kinds of as a curated reading and listening listing and beloved “in-region” suggestions from NPR journalists.
“We picked a various portfolio of outings we imagined our beloved listeners would obtain academic and entertaining,” mentioned Jane Scott, Director of Purchaser Solutions. “NPR listeners are a group of curious folks these guided excursions are an option for them to hook up with like-minded people around their enjoy of journey and NPR.”
Geology, astronomy, and climate improve consider heart phase on science-themed visits.
- Cleanse Power, Environmentally friendly Residing: A Journey via Iceland will take a look at the forces of mother nature – from cascading waterfalls to rising geysers, harmful volcanoes and soaring glaciers. Tourists understand how the country’s expense in geothermal and hydroelectric ability contributes to its extraordinary good results as just one of the greenest nations on earth. They will also pay a visit to the premier puffin colony in the environment and master about the special qualities that have designed the legendary Blue Lagoon.
- Winter season Wonderland in Yellowstone celebrates one particular of the world’s finest ecosystems. Travelers will journey deep into the park more than snow-packed streets when the crowds are long gone, halting often to look at Outdated Faithful’s spectacular eruptions and the effervescent mud pots, colourful thermal swimming pools, and gushing geysers of the Higher Geyser Basin, eerily veiled in steam. They will also discover how the reintroduction of wolves has impacted the ecosystem of the Park.
- Santiago and Starlight in the Atacama Desert is a star-gazer’s desire journey. With additional than 300 cloud-absolutely free times each and every yr, and the absence of gentle pollution, the Atacama is a single of the number of sites on earth wherever one can observe the Andromeda Galaxy with the naked eye. The group will take pleasure in a personal stargazing session with a area astronomer and pay a visit to the biggest community collection of telescopes in South The united states all through the new moon, when the stars are at their brightest and most colourful. They will also explore lagoons, very hot springs, mountains and salt flats below dry, desert air.
Various visits aim on switching urban spaces.
- The Long term of Cities: Exploring London In A New Period will shock and delight equally the seasoned and the to start with-time traveler to London. This at any time-shifting vibrant metropolis meticulously balances historic preservation with sustainable city renewal. In the corporation of urban planners and architects, the group will stop by the reworked Docklands and Canary Wharf neighborhoods find the legendary Battersea Power Station, and practical experience the new, controversial soaring skyscrapers–all though talking about how Brexit, immigration patterns, and Covid-19 continue on to condition the contours of this outstanding town.
- Singapore and Malaysia: Sojourn in Southeast Asia introduces the abundant cultural and pure variety of two flourishing nations. Travelers will explore the temples, marketplaces, and restaurants that are essential to these varied populations and master about Singapore’s quest to be the “greenest metropolis in the entire world” by means of thoughtful urban structure, conservation, and a sturdy community transit system. In Malaysia, listeners will witness the country’s cultural range, with visits to Buddhist and Thai temples and Chinese clan residences. Alongside the way, delectable meals, like a pay a visit to to Singapore’s Michelin-starred food stuff market place, are prepared.
NPR Music’s Little Desk live performance series also impressed excursion choice.
- Southern Rhythms provides a contemporary just take on the musical legacy of Nashville and Memphis. The group will check out the studios – which include RCA, Solar and Stax see the 1-home schoolhouse in which Tina Turner as soon as studied, tour the new Countrywide Museum of African American Tunes with its founding Curatorial Director and cross about to Arkansas to take a look at the Southern Tenant Farmers Museum that captures Johnny Cash’s daily life-lengthy affinity with the struggles of Depression Period lifetime in the Delta.
Excursion experts are seasoned leaders in their respective fields, and involve Dina Bennett (Director of Collections, American Jazz Museum) Jim Robbins (Science Writer, New York Moments) David Pierson (SE Asia Correspondent, LA Occasions) Andres Espinoza (Ethnomusicologist and Jazz Composer) and Frances Anderton (Creator and Architecture Critic) Nicholas St. Fleur (Writer) and John Schwartz (Science Writer, New York Periods).
Reservations are open now with restricted availability for each journey. Much more info about NPR Travels and bookings can be discovered at nprtravels.org or by calling 1-877-544-3040.
“At Academic Journey Abroad, we believe in the electrical power of vacation to deepen appreciation of cultures, foster empathy, and gasoline curiosity. We are delighted to perform with NPR to craft a single-of-a-type, immersive travel encounters for its extremely faithful enthusiast base,” reported Chase Poffenberger, ATA Government Vice President. Educational Vacation Overseas (ATA)is a 71-yr-old, DC-based educational journey firm, and produces experiential travel packages for corporations these types of as the Smithsonian Establishment, and Hearst Journal Media.
NPR, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary this yr, is widely identified for its arduous reporting and unsurpassed storytelling that connects with thousands and thousands of Us citizens each and every day — on the air, on the internet, and in-human being. NPR strives to produce a a lot more informed community — a person challenged and invigorated by a deeper knowing and appreciation of events, concepts, and cultures. With a nationwide network of award-successful journalists and 17 intercontinental bureaus, NPR and its Member Stations are under no circumstances considerably from where by a story is unfolding. Listeners can locate NPR by tuning in to their neighborhood Member stations (npr.org/stations), and now it is uncomplicated to listen to our tales on sensible speaker gadgets. Talk to your wise speaker to, “Perform NPR,” and you can be tuned into your nearby Member station’s dwell stream. Your speaker can also access NPR podcasts, NPR A person, NPR News Now, and the Visible Newscast is offered for screened speakers. Get more info at npr.org/about and by next NPR More on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
About Tutorial Journey Overseas
Educational Journey Overseas, In
c. is an educational journey service provider for some of the world’s most prestigious businesses. Riding the put up-war wave of interest in vacation to Europe, ATA introduced functions in 1950 by helping universities and cultural establishments in the creation of team journey applications for their members. Nowadays, ATA is a chief in instructional and branded team travel and provides an array of programs and providers that marry journey and discovering, these as research abroad applications, connect with centre services, and intercontinental conferences. ATA’s happy record of associate organizations includes The Smithsonian Institution, The New York Times, and The Philadelphia Orchestra.
NPR Media Relations, [email protected]
Melinda Schrom, Tutorial Travel Abroad, [email protected] or 202.349.7345